You’re about to spend an entire semester abroad but you don’t know a single person in your ILP group … that’s A-OK! (And a big part of your adventure). Here's how to break the ice.
We have a lot of volunteers who are worried about traveling with a group of people they don’t know — which is super normal. It really happens all the time! I sorta love how you can start the semester as complete strangers and come home with the closest friends. You’ll be surprised how quickly you can become friends with someone while you’re traveling.
Oh hi there — if you’re still a little nervous about volunteering abroad come check out this free ebook.
For anyone who is nervous about getting to know a bunch of volunteers before you all live together in a foreign country, don't be worried. Seriously, it's going to be fine!
- Know Who You're Flying With
- Ask These Questions
- Play These Games
Know Who You're Flying With
You can get an idea of who you’ll be flying with here so you can work on getting to know your group on the long flight or layovers. If you won't be flying with your group, there are other ways to get to know your group before you leave.
Ask These Questions
One way to get to know your group better is by asking some questions — not the boring ones like their favorite color, but cool ones, like these
- What’s the last adventure you had?
- If you didn’t need to sleep, what would you do with all that time?
- What hobby would you have if money wasn’t an issue?
- What songs do you have completely memorized? (Or, what songs are you embarrased to have completely memorized?)
- What would you do on the perfect weekend?
- If you were to win an Olympic medal, what sport would it be in?
- What smell reminds you of your childhood?
- What’s the best TV channel that doesn’t exist yet?
- If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the title be?
- What country do you wish you were from?
- Is there something you’re super good at, but are sorta embarrassed that you’re good at?
Play These Games
Traveling means long flights and layovers, giving you the chance to really get to know the people you'll be volunteering with for a semester. We've got our favorite games to play at the airport, right here to help you break the ice.
Just remember that no matter who is in your group, you all have one thing in common — ILP! You may be pretty different but you all want to serve abroad, right?
When you volunteer with ILP you'll never be alone ... that's part of why we sent everyone with a group of volunteers, no matter where they go with ILP. To find out a little more about your built-in support system, just click that button: